Sunday, September 8, 2013

Happenings in 4th grade

Stardate: September 8, 2013

The fifth week of school is about to begin.  I still have hair on my head, but I feel that it is turning gray quite quickly in this new environment.  I have a few kids that love to test the limits, so as long as I keep reminding myself "this is only a test" then I can keep my thumb on them and test them right back, or lay the smack down, as I prefer to call it. Of course this "smack" is simply a metaphor and is not intended to physically hit any small children (insert legal disclaimer here.)

My new staff is extremely supportive and I have more resources that anyone could ever read/use in a year.  Books galore and shelves full of things I'm sure I will only remember I have after that fact.

The biggest change is teaching 9 year olds instead of 11 year olds.  You wouldn't think that 2 years makes much of a difference when it comes to what kids can and cannot do on their own, however it is a complete role reversal.  Just when I think I can rely on these kids to do a task completely unassisted (or after an example or two) BAM, it backfires in my face, thus far without hilarious consequences.  I need to keep reminding myself that the students in front of me are fresh out of 3rd grade where I think a kid peed his pants the other day...?  4th graders are not nearly as self sufficient as I thought, so I will continue to guide them and lead them as I do my 3 year olds at church.

Speaking of, new classrooms at church this weekend.  New crop of kids.  It's funny to see our old kids, they look...OLD!  They are only 4 but they look much older than our current group of 3 year olds.  The new space at TPCC is fantastic and i can't wait until we are in our final rooms and done moving around. It will be outstanding once the construction equipment is gone and everything is in it's proper place.  Thinking back on the day - there is a scissor lift on the second story of the church, how do they plan on getting this back outside?

Well, another week of educating awaits.  I hope I can keep all of the extra plates spinning that is required of us teachers...so many things, so little time.


PS.  Baby Lucy will be here in approximately 6 weeks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment